Taiwanese Braised Minced Turkey/Pork Over Rice (滷肉飯 – Lu Rou Fan)
- 1 pound ground turkey or pork
- 1/2 cup fried shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup rice or shaoxing wine
- 1 package pickled sour mustard, diced
- In a pan, heat oil to medium-high heat. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat browns.
- Add garlic and fried shallots to the pan and cook until fragrant. Add the five-spice powder, sugar, soy sauces, rice wine, and just enough water to cover the meat. Then, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover partially. Cook until meat is completely tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 4 hours. Add pickled sour mustard.
- Serve with steamed rice.