Japanese Beef Rice Bowl (牛丼 – Gyudon)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced beef
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons hon-dashi powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 beaten eggs
- 2 bowls of steamed brown rice
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat and cook the onions until caramelized.
- Add soy sauce, sake, sesame oil, ginger, sugar, and beef and cook for another ~3 minutes or until beef has absorbed the flavors.
- Add hon-dashi and 1/2 cup of water and boil for ~3 minutes.
- Simmer on medium heat (covered) for 5 minutes. Add beaten eggs over the beef and cook until the egg is done.
- Pour meat and sauce on top of a bowl of steamed brown rice.