Chinese Stuffed Bell Peppers (煎釀青椒)
- 1/2 lb. shrimp & fish paste (click here to see my recipe)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow/ orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- avocado oil
- 2 tsp. Lee Kum Kee garlic black bean sauce
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. Chinese Shaoxing rice wine
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved (add a little water)
1. Rinse, drain and dry bell peppers. Cut in half and remove seeds, then cut again lengthwise into quarters.
2. Mix cilantro into the shrimp & fish paste.
3. Dust the inside of the bell pepper with a little cornstarch, then fill each bell pepper with the shrimp & fish paste.
4. In a large pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Gently place bell peppers, paste faced down onto the pan until light yellow brown. Turn bell peppers to the other side and let them brown for another few minutes.
5. In a separate pan, prepare the sauce. Heat the sauce ingredients (black bean sauce, sugar, water, rice wine & sesame oil) to a boil. Add cornstarch to thicken sauce, then remove from the heat and set aside.
6. Transfer stuffed bell pepper to serving plates and pour black bean sauce on top. Serve as an appetizer or over rice.