Chinese Pork & Leeks Dumplings with Homemade Wrappers (水餃 – Shui Gao)
For the Dumpling Dough:
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/3cups water
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
For the Dumpling Filling:
- 1cup ground pork
- 1/2cup shrimp paste
- 1 & 1/2cups Chinese chives, chopped
- 1teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1/2teaspoon white pepper
- 3teaspoons Shaoxing wine
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon sesame oil
- DUMPLING DOUGH: In a large bowl, mix 3 cups of all purpose flour and 1 & 1/3 cups of water. Add salt to taste.
- Knead the dough for about 20 minutes or until a smooth ball is formed. If dough is still sticky, add more flour. Cover with wet towel and set aside for least 30 minutes.
- When dough is ready, cut the ball of dough into 4 pieces and reshape each into a long log. You should have a total of 4 equal-sized logs. Use a knife to cut the logs into 15-20 smaller pieces (each piece should be a size of a quarter), making 60-80 pieces total. Use your hand to make each one into a ball and flatten with a rolling pin to make a circular wrapper about 3 inches in diameter. If necessary, flour your area to prevent sticking.
- DUMPLINGS FILLING: In a bowl, mix dumpling filling ingredients (ground pork, shrimp paste, chives, ginger, sea salt, sugar, white pepper, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- DUMPLING: Place a small spoonful of filling into the center of the dumpling skin and seal it up by pressing down on the edges of the wrapper.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a dash of salt. Add the dumplings and boil until they float. Drain the dumplings and serve with your favorite dipping sauce!