Chinese Marbled Tea Eggs (茶叶蛋 – Cha Dan)
- 24 hard boiled eggs
- 10 cups water
- 4 black tea bags
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (add more if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (add more if necessary)
- TEA EGG MARINADE: In a pot, add water, tea bags, cinnamon stick, star anise, soy sauce, brown sugar, and sea salt. Boil on high heat.
- With the hard boiled eggs, gently tap the outside of the egg shells with the back of a spoon to crack the shell evenly.
- In a slow cooker, arrange the eggs in the pot and add the boiling tea egg marinade. Set the slow cooker on high for about 1-2 hours. Let the eggs soak in the tea mixture for another 2 hours or overnight (for stronger tasting tea eggs) on low. Put eggs in a container and store in the refrigerator.