Chinese Mapo Tofu (麻婆豆腐)
- 1 tablespoon regular miso paste
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean paste
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I prefer avocado oil)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1/2 bulb garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 lb soft tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Cooked brown rice
- Sea salt to taste
- Green onions minced for garnish
- Sauce mix: miso paste, hoisin sauce, black bean paste, sake, red pepper flakes, and sea salt.
- Drain the water from the tofu and cut into cube pieces then set aside.
- Heat up a large frying pan until hot and pour in the cooking oil. Saute garlic, onion, ginger. Add the ground turkey and break it up into small pieces.
- When the turkey is cooked, add the sauce mix (miso paste, hoisin sauce, black bean paste, sake, red pepper flakes, sea salt) and stir.
- Add in the tofu and sesame oil, stir gently to toss the tofu well with the sauce and turkey. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl, add to pan and stir. Lower the heat and let cook until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with the green onions and serve with brown rice.