Travel Eats: Mana Bu’s Musubi in Hawaii
Mana Bu’s is known for their unique musubi. Their filling (salmon, tuna, sausage, ume, etc) is stuffed inside a triangular-shaped rice (aka onigiri in Japan). What I really like about their food is their emphasize on home-made style, using familiar local ingredients. They never add any chemicals in rice, which are widely used in the food industry to sham their rice “high quality” and “freshness”. Instead, they rely on Hawaiian sea salt to work as natural preservatives. Mana Bu’s also uses only organic sugar as sweetener for all of their desserts.
Come early because they do sell out fast!
On weekdays (Monday – Friday), here’s the musubi schedule:
- At 6:30 am
- Popular White-rice Musubi (12 kinds of musubi including Ume, Baked Salmon, Kombu, Shiso Wakame, Teri SPAM-Lite, Tuna-Mayo, Salmon & Sesame, Shiso-flavored Kombu, Shoyu Dried-bonito, Sekihan, Veggie Curry Pilaf and Kimpira Gobo Pilaf)
- At 7:00 am
- Special White-rice Musubi (16 different kinds of musubi including Salmon & Tobiko, Spicy Tuna-Mayo, Mentaiko, and Curry Tuna-Mayo)
- At 7:30 am
- 10-grain-rice Musubi, Brown-rice Musubi and Yaki Musubi (35 different kinds of musubi including Grilled Sausage, SPAM & Egg, Ume, Baked Salmon, Kombu, Shiso & Wakame, Spicy Takuwan, Teri-SPAM, Ume, Baked Salmon, Sukiyaki, Shiso & Wakame, Shiso & Wakame w/ Chirimen, Kombu, Hijiki Seaweed, Salmon, Sukiyaki, Teri-Yaki and Miso-Yaki)
- Light Okazu
- Desserts including Strawberry Mochi, Coffee Gelatin, Low-fat Custard and Zenzai
- WHITE RICE Musubi: $1.50-$1.70 each
- BROWN RICE Musubi $1.70 each
- 10-GRAIN RICE Musubi: $1.70 each
- MOCHI RICE Musubi: $1.70 each
- BAKED Musubi (Yaki-Onigiri): $1.80 each
- SPAM & Egg Musubi: $2.00
Veggie Okazu (Individually packed in a tiny container) – All items are for $1.50.
- Broccoli Salad w/Sesame Dressing
- Organic French Bean w/Miso Dressing
- Shoyu Organic Edamame
- Japanese Egg Cake
- Kimpira Gobo
- Whole Fresh Strawberry Mochi: $2.30
- Whole Fresh Kula Strawberry Mochi: $2.50
- Custard Pudding: $2.40
- Hawaiian Coffee Gelatin: $1.90
- Cold Zenzai w/ Mochi: $2.80
Salmon & tobiko was my personal favorite! Mmm… And you can never go wrong with mentaiko…
Definitely stop by and get yourself a musubi!
More on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mana-bus-honolulu
Thank you so much for reading!